David Bowie, English musician, artist and fashion icon died peacefully surrounded by his family and loved ones after an 18-month courageous and hard-fought battle with cancer. He ushered in the sound of a new generation, whose music blended disparate and abstract themes into a universally recognized sound adored by the world and revered by his fellow musical and artistic contemporaries.
Bowie had a very public battle with drugs and alcohol throughout his life and credits his onetime personal assistant Coco to saving his life by convincing him to check into rehab. Prior to that intervention he said that he seriously contemplated suicide and that he felt drugs robbed him of his life. Bowie turned his life around after his stint in rehab and experienced a personal renaissance of his career in the 80’s starring in several blockbuster films as Labyrinth and chart-topping singles like Fame and Let’s Dance.
He defied expectations and was an image breaker in the truest sense of the word. His ability to reinvent himself and stay relevant during a career that spanned several decades is a true testament to his star power. The musical and artistic side of his persona were merely a small facet of his extremely versatile and ever-changing career and life on earth. To commemorate and celebrate his legacy we’ve compiled 17 of his most inspirational quotes and timeless truths.
- “I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
- “I don’t know where I’m going from here but I promise it won’t be boring.”
- “Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming.”
- “I’m not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of superman.”
- “Fame can take interesting men and thrust mediocrity upon them.”
- “All I have is my love of love and love is not loving.”
- “Never look back, walk tall act fine.”
- “And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations. They’re quite aware of what they are going through.”
- “The truth is of course that there is no journey. We are all arriving and departing at the same time.”
- “I’ve never responded well to entrenched negative thinking.”
- “We can be heroes, just for one day.”
- “As you get older, the questions come down to about two or three. How long? And what do I do with the time I’ve got left?”
- “All my big mistakes are when I try to second-guess or please an audience. My work is always stronger when I get very selfish about it.
- “Sometimes I don’t feel as if I’m a person at all. I’m just a collection of other people’s ideas.”
- “I’m an instant star, just add water and stir.”
- I’m always amazed that people take what I say seriously. I don’t even take what I am seriously.”
- To not be modest about it, you’ll find that with only a couple expectations, most of the musicians that I’ve worked with have done their best work by far with me.”